Laptop thin client.

Dan McGarry it.psl at fsp.org.vu
Mon Oct 17 22:09:48 UTC 2005

Philipp Schröder wrote:

> P.S.: Unfortunately, Ubuntu is running *dead slow* on the Thinkpad 600,
> even though I have 294 MB of RAM (= the maximum for TP 600) !? I don't
> know what is wrong. I suspect the harddisk (5.1 GB, 4200 rpm) might be
> slowing things down? But it's really going at "crawl" speed. :-( So I
> was hoping I could at least use it as thin client...

I'm running Ubuntu on some seriously under-spec'ed (desktop) systems[*],
and the only time I've seen serious performance degradation is when the
machines begins swapping. Given that you've got loads of RAM - more than
most of the clients I run, heck more than our server here(!) - I suspect
   that:

- You might have a disk on the verge of death, requiring many attempts
for each read/write.

- Your RAM is not all working, reports to the contrary notwithstanding.

[*] FYI, I'm composing this message on a PIII 450 w/ 256 MB RAM, and
everything is running just fine.

A few links that might provide some better assistance than wild
speculation on my part:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki - wiki for Linux on ThinkPads

http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm - Another page for
ThinkPads running Debian

Oh, and hello to everyone from the sunny South Pacific island nation of
Vanuatu. Frist Psot! 8^)

Dan McGarry		it.psl at fsp.org.vu

IT Consultant
Community Communications Project