edubuntu desktop

jelkner at divmod.com jelkner at divmod.com
Wed Oct 12 14:15:43 UTC 2005

Why is it that "fun, young and vibrant" means white?  Mark said he didn't want to get dragged into a discussion of race, but in the country in which I live (the U.S.) such a discussion can not be avoided.  My country has a long and sordid history of racism, and a look at what played out in New Orleans recently makes clear that racism in my country is still *very* much with us.

We suffer from a digital divide in my country in which access to and use of information technology also coorelates to race.  I'm hoping to use Ubuntu/Edubuntu to help build brigdes across the divide.  The name of the distribution, using an African word, is a big help in this regard.  It suggests that Ubuntu means to be broad and inclusive.  The recent artwork does not send the same message.

While it may still be true that young children, even African American and Latino children, identify the little white girl as pretty, fun, and vibrant, that does not mean we should put her alone on our desktop.

jeff elkner