Call for contributions to Edubuntu Documentation

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 6 03:18:23 UTC 2005

Hello (Edubuntu) World,

I'm sending this email to request for contributors for Edubuntu
Documentation. While it is true that Edubuntu is Ubuntu with some
extra bells and whistles, Edubuntu has a different goal and thus have
different documentation requirements. Few people are probably aware
that I am the only guy doing it at the moment, and its quite
overwhelming, given the short amount of time as well as the problems
encountered early on. Not to mention the social issues involved with
contributing to the Ubuntu Documentation Project's svn server, as well
as the learning curve for DocBook.

I've moved what is currently WIP (Work In Progress) in the wiki to
allow the community to be involved in the writing. It's all located
at:

http://www.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuDocumentation

At the moment, we have 3 documents:

1. About Edubuntu (done)

2. Edubuntu Release Notes (almost done with Ubuntu Release Notes and
adapt it for Edubuntu, then add Edubuntu-specific issues)

3. Edubuntu Cookbook - this book aims to be a comprehensive manual for
setting up and maintaining Edubuntu. It was adapted from the Tuxlabs
cookbook and some of the text came from it.

We're not going to discuss about licensing on these docs (especially
the cookbook) right now, I'd rather have some input from the community
first. Since there is a plan to have pressed CDs after release, we
could probably still have time to include the cookbook into it.

Once we have good docs in the wiki, we'll port them over to docbook so
that we'll have a good document source that can be ported to different
formats as needed (and put it under revision control as well).

After all, this is our first release, I'm sure we'll improve over time =)

Thanks again,

Jerome Gotangco
jgotangco at ubuntu.com | jgotangco at gmail.com
GPG: 0xA97B69A0