Everything easy is hard

nigel.kennington at btinternet.com nigel.kennington at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 28 09:30:51 UTC 2005

> Hmmm... I'm not sure which page you refer to, but if
it
> was a wiki page, then it was "locked" because
someone else
> was editing it.  As for the login process, if it
sent you
> to Launchpad, then yeah, I can see your point about
it being
> a bit tedious.  On the other hand, e-mail isn't
always ideal
> for feedback either.

Spurred on by your excellent feedback (thanks!), I
have had another stab at this and actually managed to
get logged on. The problems arised (for me) because it
seems that once you get sorted with launchpad there is
much confusion regarding what name to use once you
actually get an account. In my case it was not NigelK
nor Nigel Kennington but in fact nigel-kennington that
was the required username...

Furthermore, once logged in one is redirected to a
wiki page that seems to be the profile update/creation
thingy that includes a password field that I had
assumed was required to log in to the wiki. However
typing anything in there causes a password mismatch
error message - which is where I gave up last time.
Turns out that this page is irrelevant though, and
despite the password error I was already logged in. So
that's all tickety-boo now.

> How do educators needs differ from anyone else's?
Most
> of what you mention applies to just about anyone
using
> computers.
It doesn't, that's my point. The single best education
specific part of Edubuntu from my perspective is the
inbuilt control tool which I hope will allow the same
basic functionality as Netsupport School
(www.netsupportschool.com), i.e. keyboard/mouse
lockout, remote control, broadcasting and application
control.

> The LTSP stuff (better explained in the
> tuxLab Cookbook) is part of the added value of
Edubuntu,
> in addition to packages aimed at teaching children
at
> the primary and secondary school level.  (Not enough
> of those programs yet, but more coming all the
time.)
Reading the cookbook now, lots of good information
there, thanks.

I still have concerns about the system requirements
though, the cookbook states 2Gb RAM and an SCSI hard
drive for the server and 32Mb RAM for each client. Is
that really enough to run 20 Open Office programs
simultaneously? From what I've been reading about Open
Office, it's not the leanest suite on earth. Also, no
mention is made of the processor, but if it's in line
with having 32Mb of RAM, you'd be looking at a Pentium
I (if that) yes?