Edubuntu GUI

Philipp Schröder philipp at din15.org
Tue Nov 8 17:44:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

Jane Weideman wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>
> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 02:01 -0500, Mathewson wrote:
>
>>I have expressed my opinion of the new GUI (
>>http://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuScreenShots ) quite
>>forcefully (
>>http://www.eschoolnews.com/eti/2005/10/001200.php ) - and
>>am looking for some civilised debate on this topic.

If I understand Richmond right, he is concerned about *distraction*.

Two aspects:

A.) I agree that the default desktop background image is distracting. I
already expressed this earlier myself [1]. However, the Desktop image
can be changed easily, so this isn't really a "show stopper" IMO.
Anyhow, for 'Edubuntu Dapper', I vote for a more "neutral" and
non-distracting desktop background for those who don't really care too
much about the desktop image and just leave it at its default.

B.) I think the more important issue to discuss is how 'desktop control'
will be implemented in the next release. Will the forthcoming 'Teacher
Tool' (aka "Teacher's Pet") allow teachers to configure the desktop
easily to reduce distraction? I.e. "clamping down"
* panels
* task bars
* desktop images ?

The initial spec [2] - which might be outdated! - mentions:

* Menu locking/editing per pupil or per group

I'd be interested in what other educators think about this...

Best, Philipp

[1] http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-devel/2005-October/000629.html
[2] http://wiki.edubuntu.org/TeachersPet

BTW, Richard, I am unfamiliar with the term "Kiddiwinks", so I am
clearly not getting the whole statement. I'd love to know more about its
connotations/ cultural meaning... :-)

--

Philipp Schroeder
DIN15 / Information Architecture & Interaction Design
www.din15.org, philipp at din15.org