Etherboot on Ubuntu LTSP

Jonathan Carter jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Mon Nov 7 07:28:07 UTC 2005

Hi Jean-Francois

Jean-Francois CLEMENT wrote:
> first, why you don't want make PXE emulation ?
> Have you look at :
> http://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuDocumentation/BootingClientsWithoutPxe ?

Because we're currently running 140 schools that boot using an etherboot
image on a boot-rom that doesn't support PXE emulation, and booting from
floppy is generally not a good idea (floppies get lost or broken). And
these machines don't have hard drives so zlilo isn't possible either
(and even if it were, boot-roms are still less maintenance).

I asked on #ltsp yesterday and it seems that we need an mknbi patched
kernel. I'll look into that again this weekend.

-Jonathan