Converting standard LTSP to Edubuntu

Jan Wilson jan at corozal.com
Thu Nov 3 16:02:56 UTC 2005

I spent a day trying to get Edubuntu LTSP working after a dist-upgrade
from Kubuntu Hoary, where I had a standard LTSP setup.  The good news:
it's working!

Is there a document somewhere giving the details of the differences
between LTSP 3.0 and Edubuntu LTSP 5.10?  That would've been very
helpful.  I'd be happy to HELP write it ... though I have experience
with LTSP I certainly wouldn't call myself a guru.

A few quick tip, for anyone trying to make the shift.  Using any part of
the previous LTSP installation seems not only to make it more difficult,
but nearly impossible.  What I wound up doing was renaming all the
directories that had to do with LTSP, and (re)installing
ltsp-server-standalone.  Apparently the ltsp-build-client script was
detecting the existing LTSP installation and skipping a bunch of stuff.

I realize all this stuff is in flux, but it really would be nice to have
some basic documentation for it.  I'm willing to help, and now that I
have a working setup I can experiment.

I also have VMware, so I can experiment with installs and such.  Er,
well, I THINK I have VMware ... haven't tried it since I changed to the
latest Ubuntu kernel  ;-)

Jan Wilson, Consultant   _/*];   email:   kris at kringle.corosal.com
"Wizard Third Class"     |  |:'  corosal.com, corosal.bs, linux.bs
Corozal Town, Belize     |  /'  change each 's' to 'z' in  above !
Reg. Linux user #151611  |_/  Network, PHP, Perl, SQL, Linux, etc.