Technical visoion of edubuntu ver1.0

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 24 18:27:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 07:56:00PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 24.06.2005, 10:32 -0700 schrieb Matt Zimmerman:
> > What is your rationale for using a live CD to run the server, rather than
> > installing it?
> its easier to customize and you can just run it right away for testing,
> i'm very much convinced you will have a nice "AHA" effect with this in
> your audience... especially if you can just click the install icon and
> have the same setup you just tested on your harddisk afterwards ;)

I don't think this is going to be workable.  Performance will be poor,
specialized configuration will be required in order to store user data on
the hard drive, all configuration (including user accounts and passwords)
will be lost when the system is rebooted, etc.  A server needs to be a
stable, permanent entity.

> > This would be very useful of course, but is not a part of the initial scope
> > for the 5.10 release of Edubuntu.  We already have quite some ground to
> > cover, and we need to choose our battles carefully, so this should probably
> > be a post-Breezy feature.
> yes, but teachertool would need a nearly full rewrite anyway to function
> with the new infrastructure, its small enough to just do a quick rewrite
> in pygtk (i'm willing to make it ... even in my spare time if necessary)
> which will function as a base for the _real_ tool later (i think i
> already mentioned it in the spec)

You have quite a lot of work to do for Breezy already; your name is listed
for one top priority and five high priorities.  We must be very specific
about the goals for Edubuntu 5.10 in order to deliver it in concert with the
rest of Ubuntu 5.10.

--
 - mdz