Thin client options

Rick Fitzsimmons rickfitzsimmons at iname.com
Tue Jun 21 14:57:36 UTC 2005

Hi,
I've only just discovered Edubuntu, so please forgive any ignorance of
previous discussions etc. (I have scanned though the list archive.)

I've not seen any mention of the NoMachine NX protocol with Edubuntu.
I've successfully installed both LTSP and NX on Ubuntu (but not at the
same time!), and I've come across several references to NX being the
better way to go. I was on the point of ordering a new server to try a
serious Ubuntu+NX set-up, with the idea of demonstrating this in local
schools (in south-west UK).

While LTSP is a great system, with an excellent track record, I see a
few advantages of NX.

1. In my experience, schools are very wary of changing anything in IT.
The NX client can be run on an existing Windows PC, providing the user
with a full Linux desktop that they can use /alongside/ their current
familiar applications. They don't have to commit to change straight
away. They can see the benefits of running OSS on a thin client without
taking any (perceived) risks. (Of course, the standard thin-client
option is still available too - the best of both worlds.)

2. Because the NX protocol is optimised for low-bandwidth connections,
students and teachers could be given direct access to their Linux
desktop environment from home, even using a dial-up connection. I
believe this could be a major attraction for teachers, who could then
prepare their teaching material remotely.

3. To get the project under way, we need educators to be involved in
trying out and assessing applications. Providing remote connections to a
central project-run server would provide an easy mechanism for this.

You'll see from the above that I am mainly focussed on a migration
approach from existing Windows environments towards OSS. This won't
apply in all areas, especially where existing ICT provision is minimal
or non-existent. But from my current perspective, I can't see any
/operational/ disadvantages to the NX option. I know there are concerns
over the /implementation/ of FreeNX, but I still think it's worth
keeping as an option.

Cheers,
Rick.