Agenda Items for Edubuntu Summit

Jane Weideman janew at hbd.com
Fri Jun 17 09:14:21 UTC 2005

Hi all.

It is time to formalise the Agenda for the Edubuntu Summit which starts
in just 2 weeks time!

I have been accumulating all the agenda suggestions I have received so
far and have listed them below.

Please review this list, and feel free to offer additional topics, or
suggestions, as well as any relevant input to the already listed topics.

Please also give through to the schedule sequence and discussion
dependencies, and which topics should be addressed first etc.

We will start with registration and introductions on the Friday, but
should not schedule any major topics before the Saturday morning (IMO).

Available Time and proposed Format:
* Friday *
16:00 - 17:00 - Registration and introductions
17:30 - 18:30 - Welcome (Mark Shuttleworth & Jane Weideman)
19:00 - Dinner

* Saturday *
09:00 - 09:30

_____

Agenda Items for Edubuntu Summit

1-3 July 2005, London

      * Skubuntu presentation by Jonathan Carter (and Hilton Theunissen)

      * Package Selection and Evaluation – how are packages selected and
        evaluated ? Should involve input from the educators who are
        targetted to use the packages (Paul Flint).

      * We need to start looking at the various packages available and
        evaluating them, as well as classifying them in 3-4 categories
        such as Junior Primary (6-8), Senior Primary (9-11), Junior High
        (12-14) and Senior High (15-17) etc.

              * This process of evaluation is critical as this is the
                most discussed need for the educational change agent.
                Rather than looking for packages and evaluating
                them, it would be wiser and more effective to build a
                mechanism that
                allows all the educators out there to evaluate packages
                and our job
                becomes tabulating and displaying the evaluations. This
                is a paramount
                importance to the educational community, basically
                because all they really
                do is to evaluate, it is the stuff of their daily lives
                (ever get a bad
                grade? :^). Essentially, no evaluation methodology, no
                Edubuntu.

                What we may need is a mechanism similar to what has been
                built to evaluate
                installs. I talked some about this and I feel that this
                evaluation
                capability should be somewhat user intrusive, but should
                allow three
                general goals:

                1. You can tell it to buzz-off and you never see it
                again.
                2. You can tell it what you think on a casual user
                basis.
                3. You can get seriously medieval.

                The result can be a successful evaluation which is
                communicated in the
                same way as the install evaluations. The same mechanism
                is used (actually
                re-used :^), to get this information back to the
                evaluation process which
                in turn updates the evaluation web site (and
                yadda-yadda).

      * Edubuntu Logo and Branding – select and agree on logos to be
        used (get more final images and graphic files from Hennie)

      * Edubuntu Documentation (speak to Jerome (jsgotangco))

              * Added:
                trunk/edubuntu/
                trunk/edubuntu/EdubuntuAbout/
                trunk/edubuntu/EdubuntuReleaseNotes/
                trunk/edubuntu/EdubuntuSetup/
                trunk/edubuntu/EdubuntuUserGuide/
                Log:www.edubuntu.org
                Edubuntu documentation added on svn ()

              * Colin Applegate's step-by-step install guide ..?

      * Architectural basics – Oliver Grawert (ogra)

              * edubuntu can use ltsp, but could be used even without
                this architecture, is a thin client architecture by
                default desirable ?

              * which default desktop environment(s) do we want to
                support ?

              * how do we want to implement the educational/scientific
                software and which sets do we want to support (see
                http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu for a initial
                list) ?

              * which default administrational software will we need
                (class management, scheduling etc.) ?

              * what do we do about multimedia apps for video/audio
                editing, composing ?

      * "Customer" requirements – Jeff Elkner – Paul Flint

              * what is our target audience, what are their specific
                needs (i.e. would edubuntu-elementary,
                edubuntu-highschool, edubuntu-lab metapackages be
                desirable)

              * are there special technical requirements we need to
                cover additionally to the ones listed at
                http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientIntegration?

              * how much windows compatibility do we need and in which
                areas (for example wine pre-configurations for certain
                software in vocational schools) ?
      * Presentation by representatives of other edu distros:

              * SkoleLinux – Petter Reinholdtsen

              * Lliurex - Silvia Caballer

              * Interactors - Quim Gil

              * (K12)LTSP -Eric Harrison

              * etc

_______

I will post this up on the wiki shortly too - if you'd prefer to provide
your input there.

www.edubuntu.org

Thanks
--