[Fwd: learning progamming with Python]

Jane Weideman janew at hbd.com
Wed Jul 13 21:49:05 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Please read below.

Regards
JaneW

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: enrike <enrike at ixi-software.net>
To: janew at ubuntu.com
Subject: learning progamming with Python
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:08:15 +0200

hi Jane,

My name is Enrike Hurtado, I am part of an independent HCI research
project called ixi (www.ixi-software.net). I am writing you regarding
the Edubuntu GNU/Linux distribution. A friend of mine who has attended
the Edubuntu summit pointed me into your website as you might be
interested on a software project i am developing.

Let me explain it briefly.
For the last year I have been developing a Python based framework to
code ritch 2D graphics  applications/games/prototypes. It is based on
PyOpenGL but also uses other libraries such as PIL, WxPython and Pygame.
We started developing this as a tool  to produce prototypes for our own
use in the ixi project. However being over the last couple of years more
and more involved on teaching we thought this could be a great tool to
teach programming multimedia and design students and we have been taking
care of writing documentation and constructing it so that it is as easy
as possible to use.

In the past we have been using propietary software to develop prototypes
and to teach programming. We used Macromedia Director mainly. But we
reached a point where we saw the need to more on into free software to
be able to access a more flexible tool. For this took two directions:
Processing (java based, from MIT) and Python+libraries. I am responsible
for this second branch.

We thought that the current tools available in Python were too much
focused on either games (like pygame) or application development
(wxpython, pythoncard) and that we had the need for something more 'in
between' were multimedia elements such as fast graphics, video, sound,
etc... could be combined with GUI elements such as import dialogues,
pulldown menus, etc... So we decided to create our own framework based
on PyopenGL and wxPython and Pygame .

Thanks to a couple of research grants and the technical support of a
university in UK, I could expend time ober the current year developing
this idea and at the moment we just released the 0.2.5 release of our
framework called Mirra. It is available for download from
http://www.ixi-software.net/content/body_software_mirra.html
and it is listed on the Python software repository at python.org

In ixi we are two people and we are both currently involved on PhD
studies in two UK universities. As part of ixi we give several workshops
per year where we introduce students to tools to program with graphics
and sound (Pure Data, SuperCollider, Processing, Python, Director,
Flash). We will be teaching now Mirra as we believe it can be a very
nice tool to learn programing by manipulating graphics.

When we saw that you include drPython, pythoncard and pygame we thought
that you might be interested on Mirra. I am not sure that it has reached
the development point to be intereting enough for you but maybe in few
months it will be as it is evolving pretty fast.

As for the future, I will be PhD student for the next 3 years at least
and Mirra is a central point in my research as all prototypes will be
built using it, so I have plan to develop to much further. Hopefuly soon
some other people might join the development and this would speed up the
process and quality of the programming/structure/documentation.

I hope this has been interesting for you. If you need any kind of info
do not hesitate to contact me.
best,

--
JaneW