Ubuntu to edubuntu

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 11 10:12:58 UTC 2005

hi,
Am Montag, den 11.07.2005, 17:57 +0800 schrieb Steve Torrefranca:
> Hi, its me again.
>
> since you made it clear that it will take time for edubuntu to be
> released and i will be buying my little angel's laptop next month, will
> it be easy to switch Ubuntu to Edubuntu - i mean no installation at all
> (maybe just running a patch and changing sources)? Well my understanding
> of Edubuntu is that it is basically Ubuntu with kid friendly icons and
> applications, correct? if so can we easily switch ubuntu off and
> edubuntu on and vice-versa without installing both in amachine? I would
> want to know so i would know how to partition the hard drive... or
> better yet get debian jr and edubutu sitting together.
>
> but would it be a better idea if we can easily switch ubuntu/edubuntu
> through gdm/kdm especially for family PCs or school PCs so adults and
> children can share PCs with having to install both.
the edubuntu CD itself will be targeted at classroom use (it will
install a ltsp server out of the box etc.) but ubuntu will have a
edubuntu-desktop package that will (like ubuntu-desktop) depend on all
apps we selected for the educational desktop. so my advise for home use
would be, install ubuntu at home and edubuntu-desktop on top. so you
will have the full set of edubuntu apps [1].

;)

ciao
	oli

[1] http://edubuntu.org/ApplicationSelection