Skolelinux participation at the Edubuntu Summit

Knut Yrvin knuty at skolelinux.no
Sun Jul 10 19:35:52 UTC 2005

lørdag 9. juli 2005, 23:36, skrev Sergio Talens-Oliag:
>   Sadly that means that a lot of offers will be based on the
> commercial distributions (I've heard rumours about Novell and the
> message from Quim about Ubuntu)

Not necessarily. The three regions in Spain that runs, or gonna run a
Linux-distro in their schools, have done that based on a customisation
of Debian. The same is the situation in Munich[1][2].

To make this possible, you have to ha business skills that not allays
is common in the free software community. The reason for this is
almost entirely a demographic issue, where most of the free software
developers are under 30 years old, and you sometimes need more
experience with business that comes as a result of experience in real
life businesses.

Sometimes the skills needed also "contradicts" how software is bought
traditionally. The costumer believes that they have to buy the
software, when free software could be "sold" with a maintainance
agreement. People that buy software don't always know about open
innovation, and how this could be done.

[1] http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39195204,00.htm
[2] http://europa.eu.int/idabc/en/document/3356/336
[3] http://europa.eu.int/idabc/en/document/4403/469