New program to watch

Jeff Waddell jefferydouglaswaddell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 17:47:44 UTC 2005

Hello webmaster at python.org <http://python.org>

Corey Burger has made me aware of the PyTrails project described below,
through the edubuntu-devel email list.

I know that I would be interested in helping with a project such as this in
any way I can [I am not a strong python programmer as of yet], however I
don't see any way to contact either the mentor's of the project or Jennifer
Dozar. I'm not familiar with the SummerOfCode event, so if it's inapproriate
to offer help in this project I apologize. If, on the other hand, it is
appropriate to offer help I would ask you to put me in touch with the proper
people.

Thank you,

Jeff Waddell

I have sent this message to the edubuntu-devel list and Corey, so that
other's might choose the same path and to thank Corey for the heads up.

===============
PyTrails

(Jennifer Dozar)

I'm working on an extensible opensource engine for implementing
trail-style games such as Oregon Trail or Amazon Trail. The primary
goal is to produce a quality edutainment title that can be used free
of cost. The secondary goal is to make it easy for other edutainment
trail games to be created. PyTrails will be Python based and uses
PyGame. The engine will allow following a branching map including
making stops to rest, hunt, or trade. Additional choices such as
shopping and fording rivers may be available at special points. Each
of these activities will be replacable in other trail games as to
allow for maximum flexibility.

Mentors: Cameron Laird, Andrew Kuchling