suitable for universities?

Jan M.Lutzer at gmx.de
Wed Aug 31 20:14:01 UTC 2005

Hello,
I used Skolelinux to build up a computer center in a university of a
developing country. I was surprised how easy Skolelinux was to install
and configure and think that the approach of Skolelinux (and also
Edubuntu) is the right one for developing countries because it requires
not so much expertise. You know the problem of missing actual software
in Debian/Skolelinux. Thus my question is if Edubuntu will be suitable
for computer centers in universities? Actually it seems to goal schools
only but from my opinion of view it could be extended easily by facing
two aspects:

1. remove all games and software for children. age-independent software
only, e.g. office, internet-applications etc. Maybe it could be said to
remove the software manually after installation but this could be
problematic depending on the social context; to explain administrators
in a university to use an "operatingsystem for children".

2. remove the content filter. It seems not to be a good idea to use such
a contentfilter in problematic political environments (such as
Afghanistan where I work) and allow an administration to filter the
internet.

The Implementation could be done by (1) two different CD/DVD-images
or by (2) options while the installprogress.

I hope to get your opinions to this topic!

best regards, Lutzer