interest in Edubuntu for Cambodian schools

John "Tim" DENNY timdenny66 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 13:59:15 UTC 2005

Jeff

Thank you very much for the kind message and now I am intrigued with
the Ubuntu lite project as we need an operating system that is decently
responsive on older machines.

the basic setup at present is Windows 98se with MS office 2000...
about 60 of the recently donated computers are laptops. I feel it is
best to keep them as mobile, indepedently operating systems, yet the
possibility of setting up thin clients in a computer lab situation with
older desktops sounds like a great way to go.  The big problem is that
it will be tough to find someone in Cambodia to teach us how to setup a
thin client lab.

you ask about my timeline...  the sooner the better...  I have been
asked to demonstrate computers running the Linux OS as soon as I can.
Decision-makers would then consider loading computers from now on out
as dual boot (windows/Linux) or hopefully Linux only machines if they
are impressed with the setup.

I have basically convinced our mobile learning team (a van that tours
the country demonstrating educaitonal technologies to disadvantaged
people) to shift to linux as it woudl mean a totally loaded computer
with a great sample of software and games that coudl easily impress new
learners. The thought being, --  if the first operating system they see
is FOSS, then they have room to think and grow in a world not
monopolized by windows.

Yet again the problem will be fining a "lite" os in place of windows
98se so that the computers will be sufficiently responsive. further
down the road we hope to install a mobile internet connection so that
the computer demonstrations can include lessons on the net... maybe a
bit far-fetched at this stage as we have no knowledge of mobile
internet capabilites in rural areas of Cambodia...

Any suggestions?

Peace
Tim

--- jelkner at divmod.com wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> The computers you describe could serve as Edubuntu thin clients, but
> that assumes you will have a networked lab situation with at least
> one high powered machine to be the server.
>
> You might also be interested in Ubuntu-Lite, which is aimed at
> working directly on machines like you described.  I'm hoping to be
> able to make contributions to Ubuntu-Lite developement once school
> starts, but that will be contingent on student interest (I can lead
> them to water, but I can't make them drink...)
>
> I'm not sure who is coordinating the Ubuntu-Lite effort.  I receive
> regular emails from a google group:
>
> Ubuntu Lite:
> http://groups.google.com.au/group/ubuntu_lite
> ubuntu_lite at googlegroups.com
>
> and I found a web site that seems to be under development:
>
> http://www.ubuntulite.org/
>
> Hopefully, these efforts are being coordinated.
>
> What is your time line?  If you plan to work on this during the
> coming school year, perhaps I could lend a hand.
>
> Thanks!
>
> jeff elkner
>
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 07:12:39 -0700 (PDT), "John \"Tim\" DENNY"
> <timdenny66 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >As a donor of decommissioned computer my group
> http://www.pc4peace.org
> >has sent almost 350 computers to Cambodia in the past year and
> >hopefully can sustain the donations to assist in a larger way in the
> >near future. At present the donated computers are mostly older with
> >CPUs in the range of 233 to 300 mhz, 64 meg ram and basic components
> >throughout. I have attempted Ubuntu live CD operations yet have
> failed
> >due to the slow CPU speed.

John T. Denny Ph.D.
 Development Consultant UNESCO Phnom Penh
 http://www.avuedigitalservices.com/VR/drjohndenny [Vita]
----
Help Cambodia prosper through donations to needy schools, NGOs and community centers. -- see: http://www.pc4peace.org -- for donations, funding and membership please email me directly!