Polishing and updating the outdated ubuntu-cloud packageset

Utkarsh Gupta utkarsh.gupta at canonical.com
Mon May 27 14:25:24 UTC 2024

Hi Robie,

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 7:43 PM Robie Basak <robie.basak at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > ubuntu-cloud packageset:
> > https://ubuntu-archive-team.ubuntu.com/packagesets/oracular/ubuntu-cloud
>
> The pacakgeset description is:
>
> > Packages required to create, bootstrap, use or configure Ubuntu Cloud
> > images and their derivatives.
>
> Presumably the wording is intended to be specific to cloud images (eg.
> openssh is required to "use" a cloud image but presumably wasn't
> intended to be included in that description).
>
> Following that, all your proposed additions make sense. I'm not sure
> about some of the packages you proposed to drop but it looks like there
> are currently no uploaders so I guess that's OK.

Many thanks for the +1. I'd like to also make these changes for other
stable releases as well - Noble, Mantic, Jammy, and Focal. Hope that's
okay, too. :)

And yes, we decided to drop the packages that:
a) we don't need anymore as they're not something we support anymore.
b) haven't been in the archive for a few stable releases.
c) might have a strong or dedicated ownership by another team or squad
(for eg: cloud-init).

(c) also raises the bar to get the packageset rights (esp. when it's
an important package like cloud-init, openssh, et al) and we don't see
any benefit in that when there are dedicated teams already for the
said packages. If we ever need those, we might consider doing a PPU or
something, too, but for now, I don't think we'd like to have them in
the packageset for the above reasons.

> Would it be an idea to adjust the description to be more specific
> though, to stop us flapping if we're asked to re-add some of these
> packages that appear to match the description currently?

Right, we had a discussion on trying to re-word this in the best
possible way to reflect the above. One of the suggestions was -
"Packages that are tightly coupled to public cloud images and/or their
creation or maintenance"

Does that make things a bit better? D'you have recommendations,
suggestions, et al?

- u