Default method of candidate application: realtime IRC meeting vs mailing list

Dan Streetman ddstreet at canonical.com
Mon Jan 10 16:49:39 UTC 2022

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 9:41 AM Lukasz Zemczak
<lukasz.zemczak at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hello Dan!
>
> Thank you for starting this discussion! We should always aim to make
> the application process as easy and smooth as possible, so any
> improvements we can do here are very valuable.
>
> I personally would be very wary of making the e-mail route the
> default, mainly because of my past experiences with e-mail application
> handling. I understand that sometimes we had problems reaching quorum
> on DMB meetings to handle assigned applications, but I think there
> were only a few cases like these - and I'm rather confident that the
> new rules regarding attendance will also help out in making this
> situation better. However, when talking about e-mail applications, the
> situation was far far much worse. We have a TERRIBLE history of e-mail
> applications taking even months, with DMB members being unresponsive,
> votes taking a very long time etc. Of course, maybe we could do it
> better nowadays, sure. But sometimes good intentions and even well
> defined rules are not enough. People are people and e-mail gets lost,
> especially when everyone is really busy with work and life in overall.
>
> So yeah, obviously I would be a bit -0.5 on this idea, since I'm
> worried this will not make things better for candidates. At best it
> would make it better for DMB members, which is less important in my
> eyes.
>
> From other cons that I can see is that, even though e-mail
> applications are fine, there is a certain charm in getting to know a
> candidate better by just directly interacting with them. If you don't
> know the person yet, this is a good moment to see and get a better
> 'feel' about their character. So as said, not as of a big issue, but I
> think walking in real-time with someone can be helpful.
> The plus side of e-mail applications iso is the flexibility, as both
> the candidates and DMB members aren't tightly bound by any specific
> date. But then again, the application still needs to be handled in a
> timely fashion, and I think adding the ability of requesting special
> 'dates' by candidates might work equally well.
>
> I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

Unfortunately I forgot to put this email item on the agenda for
today's meeting, and forgot to bring it up in the ML topic section.

It seems like there is a general consensus that we should not make
this change, so unless anyone else does want to continue this
discussion, we can probably let the item drop?

If anyone does have further comments on this please reply to the ML,
and/or add the topic onto the DMB agenda.

Thanks!