DMB: proposal for adjustment to quorum rule

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 9 17:17:55 UTC 2021

On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 11:24:58AM -0500, Dan Streetman wrote:
> > I disagree. Applicant meetings take priority, and they've been busy
> > recently, including having ran over. You've also had multiple other
> > threads running at once. I expect to spend 60-90 minutes every two weeks
> > on DMB stuff, and that's where my recent "DMB time" has been spent.
> > These issues are long running ones and can wait until we don't have >1h
> > application meetings. Apart from the last DMB meeting was in my evening
> > when I was otherwise busy, but made it anyway. Nobody else showed up, so
> > I took my evening back.
>
> Regardless of other member's attendace, if you had 60-90 minutes
> scheduled for DMB work you could have voted in the poll at that time.

I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. As I say, I was otherwise
busy and went out of my way to make a realtime meeting. Your thread is
of a lower priority and could wait. I might have sent my excuses and
since nobody else showed up anyway, this wouldn't be a discussion.

Recent meetings have been unusually long and busy so I don't think this
is a case of me not putting enough time towards the DMB. One indication
that there's a queue of agenda items that need to wait is that there has
not been a realtime meeting where we've had the time to be able to
discuss these issues at all.

> > If you want to make process changes, please fit it into the time DMB
> > members already have allocated for DMB work. This means, for example,
> > waiting in line against other meeting agenda items. It is not reasonable
> > to expect more than this.
>
> I disagree; we have a mailing list for a reason, and we're supposed to
> review applicants before the actual meeting so we're prepared.

Right, and I do. That's why I said 60-90 minutes per meeting, not 60.

> Restricting DMB contributions to *only* scheduled meetings is a
> personal choice for each DMB member, not a rule.

Sure, but it's also a measure of the approximate maximum expectation of
time commitment from any DMB member. It's not like we're falling behind
on average, either. The last few meetings have been unusually busy with
applicants and that's all. I just think that you've been excessively
impatient with these items during a busy time.

Here's a guideline suggestion that may help for as long as we have
realtime meetings: if there hasn't been time to raise an issue at a
realtime meeting, then our capacity is approximately full and that issue
needs to wait until this can happen. This doesn't preclude email
threads, but just by taking things into a mailing list thread doesn't
magically create extra time that DMB members can spare over their
existing commitment to realtime meetings.

Robie