WiFi availability on dual-use machines (Ubuntu and Windows)

Hans.Brede at t-online.de Hans.Brede at t-online.de
Mon Jun 14 06:29:40 UTC 2021

Good morning!

I'm not sure whether I'm addressing the issue described below to the right
recipient; if not would you be so kind as to point me to the correct one
(email) please?

I'm using Ubuntu Studio 20.10 in parallel with the latest version of Win 10
on a Dell Latitude Laptop:

Betriebssystem: Ubuntu Studio 20.10
KDE-Plasma-Version: 5.19.5
KDE-Frameworks-Version: 5.74.0
Qt-Version: 5.14.2
Kernel-Version: 5.8.0-55-lowlatency
Art des Betriebssystems: 64-bit
Prozessoren: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz
Speicher: 7,7 GiB Arbeitsspeicher
Grafikprozessor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 520

After every use of Win 10 Ubuntu predictably fails to activate the Wifi
with the first boot (symbol is crossed out and no networks are being
shown). Wifi comes back only after shutting down again and the second boot.

As this is persistent I imagine this may happen to a lot of other dual-OS
users who like me are dependent on Win 10 for some applications. Correcting
this behavior in a future release could help adoption of Ubuntu by the
Windows community I think.

Kind regards

Hans Brede