DMB: proposal for minimum meeting attendance

Dan Streetman ddstreet at canonical.com
Tue Aug 31 23:23:30 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 4:22 PM Rafael David Tinoco
<rafaeldtinoco at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > Proposal:
> >
> > I propose amending the DMB rules of membership (which I don't think we
> > have documented currently, in which case we should first write them
> > down on our KB wiki page) to set a minimum attendance requirement as
> > follows:
> >
> > "Any DMB member who fails to attend 6 consecutive scheduled DMB
> > meetings (during a period no shorter than 12 weeks) shall be
> > considered inactive and removed from membership in the DMB. At such
> > time as any DMB member is found to be inactive due to this rule, the
> > current DMB chair will add an action item to schedule a public vote
> > for a new DMB member. This proposal is not retroactive, and the
> > attendance requirement shall start the first meeting after this
> > proposal is adopted."
>
> I am +1 for this change. I'm concerned only about:
>
> 0) To have core developers willing to do the job.

I agree, but It's always a concern.

> 1) we all got elected in the same election, should we have diff expirations ?

Personally, I think yes, absolutely. However, I think that's also a
separate issue/proposal from this.

We should probably clarify the proposal to explicitly state if the new
special election is for the remainder of the removed member's term, or
for a new 2-year term. I don't have a strong preference either way,
but would probably prefer to fill the remainder of the removed
member's term.

> 2) a way to have quick and fair applicants and elections.

Well...I think having quick elections is a great goal, but not
necessary or even related to this proposal. I also think 'fair' in
this context might be subjective.

I also think the process/procedure to actually hold an election,
regardless of whether it's a special election or regular election, is
separate from this proposal. I'm not concerned about the timeline or
process for replacing inactive members; we have existing documentation
for holding elections, and I am confident the remaining DMB members
can come up with any additional rule additions/modification if needed.