Packages to Remove from ubuntustudio packageset

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Thu May 7 01:51:48 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I know we've talked for the past year about removing items from the
Ubuntu Studio packageset in order to narrow the scope and keep too many
hands from being in too many pots, so to speak. With that, I have taken
the liberty to make a fairly long list of packages I believe are safe to
remove and outside of the Ubuntu Studio scope, especially now that we're
transitioning away from Xfce. Additionally, there are several packages
that I can't even believe are part of the package set other than they
may have been a dependency for something at some point.

List follows:

 - albatross-gtk-theme
 - apt-offline
 - babl
 - blackbird-gtk-theme
 - bluebird-gtk-theme
 - blueman
 - catfish
 - coffeescript
 - cssutils
 - cwiid
 - dbus-c++
 - efl
 - elementary-icon-theme
 - elementary-xfce
 - espeak
 - exo
 - freeglut
 - garcon
 - gigolo
 - gnome-icon-theme
 - gnome-system-tools
 - gnustep-back
 - gnustep-gui
 - greybird-gtk-theme
 - hddtemp
 - html5-parser
 - inxi
 - isodate
 - jemalloc
 - keybinder-3.0
 - kiwisolver
 - libconfig
 - libgnomecanvas
 - libgnomecanvasmm2.6
 - libicns
 - libiptcdata
 - libisofs
 - liboobs
 - libuninameslist
 - libxfce4ui
 - libxfce4util
 - libxml++2.6
 - libxpresent
 - libzen
 - light-locker
 - lightdm
 - lightdm-gtk-greeter
 - lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
 - log4cplus
 - luajit
 - matplotlib
 - mesa-demos
 - mousepad
 - mugshot
 - murrine-themes
 - onboard
 - orage
 - parole
 - pidgin-otr
 - pygobject-2
 - pygtk
 - pysimplesoap
 - python-apsw
 - python-arrow
 - python-css-parser
 - python-csselect
 - python-debianbts
 - python-easygui
 - python-irc
 - python-lzma
 - python-mechanize
 - python-pathlib
 - python-regex
 - python-soappy
 - python-ws-tools
 - pyzmq
 - ristretto
 - sparql-wrapper-python
 - system-tools-backends
 - thunar
 - thunar-archive-plugin
 - thunar-media-tags-plugin
 - thunar-volman
 - tree
 - tumbler
 - utidylib
 - xfburn
 - xfce4-appfinder
 - xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
 - xfce4-dict
 - xfce4-indicator-plugin
 - xfce4-mailwatch-plugin
 - xfce4-netload-plugin
 - xfce4-notes-plugin
 - xfce4-notifyd
 - xfce4-panel
 - xfce4-places-plugin
 - xfce4-power-manager
 - xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin
 - xfce4-screenshooter
 - xfce4-session
 - xfce4-settings
 - xfce4-statusnotifier-plugin
 - xfce4-systemload-plugin
 - xfce4-taskmanager
 - xfce4-terminal
 - xfce4-verve-plugin
 - xfce4-weather-plugin
 - xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin
 - xfce4-xkb-plugin
 - xfconf
 - xfdesktop4
 - xfpanel-switch
 - xfwm4
 - xiccd
 - xubuntu-artwork
 - xubuntu-community-artwork
 - xubuntu-docs
 - yudit

Let me know if you have any questions or to ask "are you sure about ___?".

Thanks,
Erich
----
Erich Eickmeyer