Core dev requirement for developer membership board seats?

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 17 14:38:00 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 09:18:51AM -0500, Dan Streetman wrote:
> The SRU process is most certainly not 'narrow' ;-)  It covers the vast
> majority of what coredevs need to know, at least IMHO.

I disagree.

Core devs and MOTUs need (at least) to be able to do package merges,
understand[1] the development release cycle, freeze milestones and
exception processes, proposed migration and transitions, and the
main/universe split and how it affects dependencies. Core devs
additionally need to understand[1] seed handling and MIRs.

SRU developers don't need to know anything about those areas, nor even
know that they exist. When considering an SRU developer application, I
don't consider any of these areas. In fact that was the point of
creating the SRU developer team: to allow developers to make progress
_without_ having to learn or demostrate the wider stuff.

[1] I don't necessarily expect detailed direct experience in all of
these, but I do expect to see direct and deep experience of at least
some of them and a general understanding of most of them.