voting procedure when number of nominees equals number of vacancies

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 17 18:26:34 UTC 2018

Hi Tech Board,

The initial deadline [1] for nominations for the Developer Membership
Board (DMB) just passed yesterday. The DMB is currently composed of 7
members. Since the terms for 5 members are expiring, we have 5
vacancies and we have 5 nominees. [2]

I didn't see any documentation for how this situation should be
handled. Here are some options:

1) No vote is necessary. The 5 nominees will join the DMB upon
confirmation by the DMB.

2) A vote is necessary. There should a None of the Above option.

3) We could extend the deadline in hopes of avoiding needing to do
either of the first 2 options.

#2 is similar to how Debian votes, such as in the recently concluded
Debian Project Leader election where there was only one nominee. I
believe #3 is similar to what was done last year except that there
fewer nominees than vacancies at the initial deadlines.

I am adding this question to the Agenda for the next TB meeting
scheduled for April 24.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2018-April/001241.html
[2] The nominees are
Robie Basak (incumbent)