DMB nominations, size and quorum

Lukasz Zemczak lukasz.zemczak at canonical.com
Mon Jul 31 14:44:35 UTC 2017

Hey,

Sorry for replying just now. This was on my plate since a while but I
was just pushing it for later all the time.

As per our discussion on IRC, I would be more keen to just decrease
the number of DMB members instead or changing the quorum system. Also,
what would I really personally prefer being done is making sure that
the current people on the board are available for board duties. e.g.
maybe introducing some practices that would allow deprecating inactive
members and looking for new ones faster.
It's hard for me to put this to words, but my general thought is this:
if we have problems in getting quorum during meetings, the right way
to solve the problem is not changing the rules of how quorum is
counted or even how many board members are there, but the solution
should be searched for in making sure we have active DMB members
instead. So let's say we have a situation like now that usually we
have 3 max 4 people on meetings - in such cases we should instantly
reach out to the people that are not present, make sure they declare
if they're still willing to participate or not and, in cases when
needed, remove them from the DMB for inactivity and start looking for
new nominees.

I know it's just easier to change the rules, but it's really just
absurd that we have to find ways to work better with inactive people
on the DMB. That's not what being part of the board should be about.
Members are either in and participating or should not be in the team.

Cheers,