Ordering of decisions to create a packageset and a first uploader

Ross Gammon rosco2 at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 14 15:21:55 UTC 2017

Hi All,

On 04/04/17 14:58, Robie Basak wrote:
> Discussions about what packages a given packageset definition includes
> can happen before or after the vote (and in fact at any time), but I
> expect this to be informal and not require a vote because we rely on
> individual member delegation to maintain the set anyway.

Just to add another data point to the related Budgie thread, as the only
Ubuntu Studio team member currently working towards upload rights (and
we need more developers if anyone is reading this and wondering...), I
am in a similar situation.

Ubuntu Studio already has a package set, but with no uploaders at the
moment. It is probably loosely based on a very old version of the Ubuntu
Studio seeds, so it would need updating.

Once I have a few more sponsored uploads under my belt, I was planning a
staged approach:
1. Per Package Upload (PPU) rights for the ubuntustudio-* packages. Any
mistakes made in uploads to those packages would have limited impact on
the rest of Ubuntu.
2. Requesting a refresh of the US package set against the latest seeds
and applying for "Ubuntu Developer (from delegated teams)" requesting
that I am added to the package set once I have sufficient sponsored
uploads of relevant packages.

Reading the information for prospective developers
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers), it can be a little hard to
work out where you should aim your application. For flavours that are
rebuilding, or starting anew, would it be a good idea to document this
on the above linked wiki page as a possible step-by-step approach?

Actually, perhaps moving the PPU section of that page above the "Ubuntu
Developer (from delegated teams)" section might help show the increasing
responsibility?

Also, reading the "Forming a delegated team" section on the above linked
page seems relevant for Ubuntu Studio and Ubuntu Budgie. It ties the
package set creation to a particular application. This process
apparently requires a team created in Launchpad (e.g.
ubuntustudio-uploaders) that is owned by the DMB. This wasn't clear to
me until I read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers/TeamDelegation.
Maybe this link could be added at the bottom of the "Forming a delegated
team" section? I assume if a team eventually became "delegated teams
admitting their own members", then ownership of the team would be
transferred from the DMB to the relevant flavour team.

Regarding Robie's actual question, I don't think the order matters that
much. I suppose the package set can be created and maintained whether or
not it has any uploaders attached to it, if it seems a good idea. But
the "Forming a delegated team" section is clear that the applicant
should include an initial list of packages for the package set to be
based upon. In the case of Ubuntu Studio, there is already a package
set, so maybe some advice about checking this could be added, so that
the applicant knows to include information that it needs updating?

Regards,

Ross