DMB voting rules

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 16 15:35:20 UTC 2015

CC,

The DMB would like a little bit of clarification about the totals that
are required for applications to be successful. Remember that we have 7
members. There's an up-down vote going on ATM to grant some upload
rights which currently stands like this:

  +1 +1 +0 +0 -1 -1 = 0

There are two interpretations of the situation.

 1) We require a majority of members to have voted in favour (+1), so
    this application fails.
 2) We require a majority of members to have voted, and the final total
    to be positive, so this application is still in doubt.

This came up in 2011, but we've sadly forgotten the outcome. Here's a
mail from Mark at the time.

  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2011-July/000999.html

I *think* this speaks in favour of (2), but it's not 100% clear to me so
I'd like the CC to decide. It allows the situation in which one member
can decide an application if enough of the others abstain (indeed that
is what's happening in this non hypothetical case). I think that's
probably fair enough though - abstaining says that you'd be happy with
either outcome and if you care then you should vote one way or the
other.

Once decided, could you please document the outcome somewhere that we
can refer to it.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]