[Bug 61966] Usability: cannot change volume names
gervystar at gervystar.net
Sat Sep 23 01:53:34 UTC 2006
Public bug reported:
Binary package hint: nautilus
These are the steps to reproduce it:
1) plug a drive (i.e. usb pendrive or similiar);
2) wait for it to be mounted on /media/$LABEL or /media/usbdisk if the partition isn't labeled;
3) open the "Computer" window;
4) right click on the "usbdisk" icon and select "properties";
5) the textfield containing the volume name is editable, so edit it and then press "enter" or click on the "close" button.
So, the textfield should appear as readonly if the user cannot edit the current object.
There is also a poor support for partitions labels: i could edit an ext3 label using "e2label" (it required root access) but the fastest way to edit a vfat label was to backup the data and reformat the volume passing the correct option to mkfs.
The only alternative would have been installing and configuring mtools.
Both the methods appear to be beyond the knowledge of the average user.
Should I open a different bug (to which package) for this one?
** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)
Usability: cannot change volume names
More information about the desktop-bugs