[Bug 37814] Re: Menu entries in korean do not show in euc-kr
atie.at.matrix at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 21:07:28 BST 2006
In Dapper, I can't find how users add ko_KR.EUC-KR to locale. User used to add ko_KR.EUC-KR with "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales" or "with locale-gen command after adding ko_KR.EUC-KR to /etc/locale.gen" till Dapper, but these ways are no longer available with Dapper as far as I know.
My test VM image is up-to-date Dapper as of today, it's updated from 2006-03-28 Daily CD. With it, I have tested this problem as followings. (I am not sure these are valid in order for us to reproduce the problem, though. However, I can't think of better way, please someone let me know if other ways are available.)
1) Added LANG="ko_KR.EUC-KR" after LANG="ko_KR.UTF-8" in /etc/environment file, then created ~/.gnomerc to set LANG="ko_KR.EUC-KR". Rebooted the test image and logged in with GDM, made sure LANG and locale were set for ko_KR.EUC-KR from Terminal. I could see "Applications, Places, System" menus were in English unlike those were in Korean with "ko_KR.UTF-8", other than that, all sub menus already translated in Korean were shown in Korean. So, I couldn't find reporter's problem.
2) Removed ~/.gnomerc file and LANG="ko_KR.UTF-8" entry from /etc/environment file. Rebooted and logged in with GDM, from Terminal, ensured LANG and locale set for ko_KR.EUC-KR by the LANG="ko_KR.EUC-KR" entry in the environment file. Results were same as 1), I couldn't see the problem.
I can test this problem only with fresh installed Dapper, so I don't think I can reproduce reporter's problem if the problem due to dist-upgrade.
- did you do dist-upgrade from Breezy to Dapper if so can you tell us when? If not, when did you install Dapper?
- is your Dapper up-to-date?
- where(which file or how) did you set ko_KR.EUC-KR? (you said you don't remember, but I think it's important to reproduce your problem.)
- what does your /etc/environment file look like? If your file doesn't have "LANG=ko_KR.EUC_KR" entry, can you add it and test the problem still happening?
- how do you login under ko_KR.EUC-KR? (I'd like to know you can still do this -"I could manage to add EUC-KR item to the list of 'Select Language' on log in screen by using 'language-env' package." - with your Dapper.)
- If you use GDM, the process bar shown in English, blank or Korean?
Menu entries in korean do not show in euc-kr encoding
More information about the desktop-bugs