Modification to test plan layout

Pierre Equoy pierre.equoy at canonical.com
Mon Mar 27 09:25:39 UTC 2017

Hi!

So far, if I'm not mistaken, we have 3 properties that can be added inline
to a test plan (in the `include` section):
- certification-status
- category-id
- auto-retry

As of now, we mostly use certification-status, but not really any of the
two others.

Modifying the test plan format would be quite a big project, and it means
we should decide if we want to keep retrocompatibility or not. In one case,
it means a lot of work to make sure things work the same for people still
using the old format, and in the other it means we need to work with
everyone who wrote customized test plans and make sure their test plans are
updated before we switch to the new version in our stable PPA.

I think it's a lot of work for very little benefit: writing a test plan is,
in many cases, a "fire and forget" task. You write it and tailor it to your
needs, then forget it and use it for your tests. I say that as an "ex QA
engineer" who worked on customized test plans, but there might have been
use cases I haven't thought of.

Jeff, what would be your rationale to change the description format of the
test plans?

Cheers,

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Jeffrey Lane <jeff at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hahahahaha. Damn it. I did just type out really bad XML, didn't I. Sigh. I
> really do need that break next week.
>
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 7:53 PM Maciej Kisielewski <
> maciej.kisielewski at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Jeffrey Lane <jeff at canonical.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > <include>
> >   <namespace name=2013.com.canonical.blah>
> >      <test name=TestA>
> >        <blocker>true</blocker>
> >          <retry>4</retry>
> >      </test>
> >   </namespace>
> > </include>
> > <mandatory_include>
> >   <namespace name=2016.com.canonical.snappy>
> >     <test name=MandatoryB></test>
> >   </namespace>
> > </mandatory_include>
> >

> > This is not YAML.
> > Actually YAML syntax is more like RFC0822 (b/c it's based on it).
> > --
> > Have a good one,
> > Maciek
> >
> --
> Sent from my iPhone so please forgive any typos, top posting and such.

Pierre Equoy
QA & Certification Engineer | Canonical
www.canonical.com | www.ubuntu.com