Modification to test plan layout

Jeffrey Lane jeffrey.lane at canonical.com
Wed Mar 22 18:42:05 UTC 2017

Forgive me if this is already planned out, but it occurred to me that
adding more and more "features" to tests means we should make sure
test plans can follow the same format as job descriptions.  This
already happens, really, but I'd propose ensuring that the add-ons are
also treated the same way, rather than simply tabbed out from the job
name.

This would allow the addition of any number of items to a test without
being terribly wide or unweildy.

An example might look something like this:

testcases:
    mandatory_include:
        some tests in a list
    include:
        name: testA
                retry=true
        name: testB
                certification-status=blocker
                retry: true
    bootstrap_include:
        name: testF
        name: testH

Additionally, it seems to me that the status option is a bit overly
complex.  Rather than:

certification-status=blocker
certification-status=non-blocker

I'd propose simply looking for the keyword blocker. like this:

name: testA
        blocker
        retry
name: testB
        retry-once

especially if there no real use for the "non-blocker" status.  Since
lines without any certification-status option and lines with
certification-status=non-blocker seem to be handled the same way, the
only one that really has any effect on results display is "blocker".

So I thought I'd share the idea...

Thoughts?  Can we do something like this?

Jeff

--
"Entropy isn't what it used to be."

Jeff Lane -
Server Certification Lead, Warrior Poet, Biker, Lover of Pie
Phone: 919-442-8649
Ubuntu Ham: W4KDH                          Freenode IRC: bladernr or bladernr_
gpg: 1024D/3A14B2DD 8C88 B076 0DD7 B404 1417  C466 4ABD 3635 3A14 B2DD