Initial specification of the checkbox launcher language

Pierre Equoy pierre.equoy at canonical.com
Mon Jan 25 08:15:47 UTC 2016

Hi Zygmunt,

I've added a few comments to the document.

Also, how does a launcher technically work? I mean how does adding a
shebang line and embedding the parameters as INI-like sections work? (this
is what the current checkbox-cli tool is doing but I'm not sure to
understand how).

Cheers,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki <
zygmunt.krynicki at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> We had a small call (Sylvain, Pierre, Maciek and me) to discuss the
> launcher language.
>
> You can have a look at the initial specification [1] for what we want
> to build here.
>
> For some back story. Launchers are declarative programs that run
> checkbox in a given way. Currently we have launchers with a set of
> ill-designed features that exposed various bits and pieces of
> checkbox's development history that is not maintainable or easily
> comprehensible.
>
> The design of the new language is based on simple principles:
> - Launchers expose useful features of the Session Assistant
> - Launchers have sane defaults for interactive testing
> - Launchers fit the common cases. Everything else is a custom executable.
>
> With this in place, we can generate correct python code from any
> launcher, to use as a starting point in creating custom solutions. New
> features, unless they are crystal-clear, should be first prototyped as
> executables so that we don't repeat the same mistakes.
>
> Best regards
> ZK
>
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SzdjiDISWpYIOemfebNqz0Qb9OcibKm1N-jcDkLFuaY/edit