Kafka Charm failing

Kevin Monroe kevin.monroe at canonical.com
Tue Sep 5 21:08:56 UTC 2017

Hi Sébastien,

Thomas and I were discussing this issue in #juju last Friday.  The real
trouble is here:

E: Failed to fetch
http://bigtop-repos.s3.amazonaws.com/releases/1.2.0/ubuntu/16.04/x86_64/pool/contrib/k/kafka/kafka_0.10.1.1-1_all.deb
 403  Forbidden

Bigtop has removed the Kafka deb from the 1.2.0 repository due to a
licensing issue:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/bigtop-user/201708.mbox/%3CCAKGhRitYhpefO1L7dV7mr3PNB%2BsohkrhtoDYtQtzOuekL-26yA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

While we wait for a suitable kafka build to become available (hopefully in
the bigtop-1.2.1 timeframe), I have adjusted the kafka charm to install
directly from the bigtop CI builders.  This workaround was included in
revision 35:

https://jujucharms.com/kafka/

This is not ideal because these repos are constantly being rebuilt --
attempting to deploy kafka when the repo is rebuilding will likely fail.
Still, it's the best we can do for now until a more reliable
source-of-truth for the .deb is ready.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and please let me know if you have
questions/concerns about kafka. Thanks!
-Kevin Monroe