Why is spark connected to zookeeper in the "Hadoop Spark" bundle?

Merlijn Sebrechts merlijn.sebrechts at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 14:15:00 UTC 2017

Hi Konstantinos

Thanks for the explanation. Another question. The icon of the "hadoop
plugin" doesn't include the bigtop tag. Doesn't the plugin supply
bigtop-specific libraries?

I'm not sure if you can really change the execution modes at job deploy.
When you submit applications to Spark in YARN mode, you can choose from two
"deploy modes": `client` or `cluster`[1]. This is different from the
execution modes (YARN, Standalone, Mesos). In `client` mode on YARN, Spark
jobs still run on YARN, but the Spark driver runs on the Spark node. This
means that the Spark node needs to stay alive and connected during the
duration of the job. In `cluster` mode on yarn, the Spark driver itself
also runs on Yarn, so when the Spark node goes down, the job will keep on
running.

>From what I gather, `cluster` mode is for when you have long-running
applications. `client` mode is for interactive querying and development of
spark applications.

[1]: http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/running-on-yarn.html