Support for Livy Spark REST server

Kevin Monroe kevin.monroe at canonical.com
Thu Dec 1 22:22:32 UTC 2016

Hey Merlijn - apologies for the delay.  I, as a Texan, was still eating
mounds of turkey when you sent this.  Just woke up a few minutes ago.

You mentioned writing Jupyter as a subordinate to Spark, like Zeppelin.  I
want to clarify that 'apache-zeppelin' is indeed a subordinate to spark,
but the 'zeppelin' charm from bigtop [0] is standalone (source at [1]).
You could conceivably relate it to hive or hadoop with no spark at all.
Since you mentioned the benefit of a Jupyter charm outside of spark, I
thought you might want to consider making it a principal charm like we've
done with Zepp.

As for bigtop spark/livy integration, I do not see any enablement in
Bigtop's spark offering, but we can certainly open a jira/PR to make that
happen.

It seems like the first requirement is to get livy bits to the spark unit.
Would it make sense to have a spark-livy subordinate that would add livy to
an existing spark deployment?  That subordinate would start the livy-server
process and open relevant ports -- and presumably have its own interface to
pass port/readiness to anyone that wanted to relate.  Does that sound about
right?

[0] - https://jujucharms.com/zeppelin/
[1] -
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/tree/master/bigtop-packages/src/charm/zeppelin/layer-zeppelin