charm license requirements with multi-licensed payloads

Kevin Monroe kevin.monroe at canonical.com
Tue Oct 27 17:00:56 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

Our big data charms (apache licensed) deploy Hadoop (apache licensed).
Hadoop supports various compression codecs, with one of the more popular
being lzo.  lzo is GPLv2 licensed and therefore not distributed with Hadoop.

As a charm author, what is my licensing obligation if I want my charm to
install lzo on top of Hadoop?  Fwiw, the charm would fetch both hadoop.tgz
and lzo.tgz from an external repo at install-time, so neither payload is
bundled into the charm.  I assume this absolves me of any special licensing
in my charm source, but I'd like to get a +1 on that.

As the maintainer of an external repo, are there licensing obligations for
hosting charm payloads?  I assume I could put a NOTICE in the root of the
repo that says "hadoop.tgz is apache licensed (link to license).  lzo.tgz
is gplv2 (link to source and license)."

The sticky part to me is that no one would likely find my NOTICE in the
repo, so I'm curious if I should put it directly in the charm source.  Is
anyone else dealing with charm payloads of differing licenses?  How did you
handle it?

Thanks,
-Kevin Monroe