Breezy 2019 summer sprint report

Sam Bull bazaar at sambull.org
Sat Sep 7 13:09:08 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-09-01 at 14:08 +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 01, 2019 at 09:26:20AM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > But brz init-repo is documented to create a shared repository ("Create a
> > shared repository for branches to share storage space.").  If Git doesn't
> > support shared repositories, I'd expect this to fail.  Possibly it wouldn't
> > support --git at all.
>
> So to be more precise: a Git repository supports multiple branches in
> a repository, just *only* colocated.

Is it infeasible to create a multi-directory approach? I'm not familiar with the
implementation details, but I just imagined the .git directory contains all the
data for a Git repo and wouldn't really limit the behaviour of the tool.
	So, the .git directory would be in the repo folder, and then when you
branch it just checkouts the files into a subfolder. Then all the
status/diff/commit commands would work by comparing the files in the subfolder
with the data in the parent .git directory for the given branch name.

If doing this, you'd probably want to rename .git to .brz-git or similar, to
ensure that the Git program doesn't try to operate on the repo (I don't see any
real advantage in supporting both programs in the same local repo).

Thanks,
Sam