Breezy 2019 summer sprint report

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at jelmer.uk
Sun Sep 1 12:05:42 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 01, 2019 at 11:53:58AM +0100, Sam Bull wrote:
> On Sat, 2019-08-31 at 22:39 +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > Ahhh! Git doesn't support shared repositories, so the branch command would
> > create a new repository in trunk as well.
>
> So the --git argument is a red-herring? It's a little disappointing that it
> takes 10 seconds to create a new branch. But, I'd still rather have that delay
> that be using Git's single directory checkouts (which make it rather annoying to
> work on 2 different issues in parallel).

The --git argument does create a repository, so it's not a red
herring. What happens is:

# this creates a git repository in blah/.git
$ bzr init-repo --git blah

# This ignores blah/.git, since git doesn't support shared
# repositories. Instead, it creates a repository in
# blah/branchname/.git
$ bzr branch git://github.com/blah/blah blah/branchname

Jelmer