brz-propose plugin for Breezy

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at jelmer.uk
Tue Dec 11 15:27:37 UTC 2018

I'd like to announce the availability of a new brz-propose plugin for Breezy.

This plugin adds ``brz propose`` and ``brz publish`` commands that make it easy
to create pull requests on code-hosting sites from the command-line.

The idea is that it makes contributing a change back to an existing repository
on a code-hosting site very easy. For example, to contribute a change to Dulwich
I can just run::

    $ brz branch git://github.com/dulwich/dulwich
    $ cd dulwich

Make a test change::

    $ touch test
    $ brz add test
    $ brz commit -m "Add test file"

And then propose the change for merging::

    $ brz propose --name my-branch-name

This last command will:

 * create a fork of the *breezy-team/breezy* named *mylogin/breezy* at
   https://github.com/mylogin/breezy (if it did not exist)
 * push the local branch with the test change to a remote branch named
   ``my-branch-name`` in the new remote repository
 * create a pull request on GitHub proposing the merge of ``my-branch-name``
   into the main branch

Supported code-hosting sites
----------------------------

brz-propose currently supports the following two centralized codehosting sites:

* `GitHub <https://www.github.com/>`_
* `Launchpad <https://launchpad.net/>`_

It also supports `GitLab <https://www.gitlab.com>`_ instances such as
`GitLab.com <https://www.gitlab.com/>`_ or
`Debian Salsa <https://salsa.debian.org>`_.

Installing
----------

To install brz propose, clone it from Launchpad:

    $ mkdir -p ~/.config/breezy/plugins
    $ brz branch lp:brz-propose ~/.config/breezy/plugins/propose

See its README for instructions on logging in.

Future plans

I'm hoping we can bundle brz-propose with Breezy itself and eventually migrate
its functionality into Breezy itself.

Initial work has happened on support for BitBucket, and I'd also like to support
Gerrit instances in the future.

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at jelmer.uk>
PGP Key: https://www.jelmer.uk/D729A457.asc