A Breezy status update

Jose Luis jls_boost at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 18:07:15 UTC 2017

The official versions of Python for Windows are compiled with the following versions of Visual Studio:

Python 2.7.x --> Visual Studio 2008
Python 3.4.x --> Visual Studio 2010
Python 3.6.x --> Visual Studio 2015

I am not 100% sure, but I believe Visual Studio 2015 is also used to build Python 3.5.x and Python 3.7.0 (scheduled for release in June next year).

Rather than concentrating exclusively in Python 3.6, I would consider supporting also 3.4.x. The reason? If I remember well, Bazaar uses py2exe, which is NOT supported under Python 3.5 and 3.6.

On Thu, 6/22/17, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Alexander Belchenko writes:

  > I just need to check
 which version of Visual Studio is required.

 Python itself, as you may
 know, has moved to the most recent version
 (VS 2014 or something like that) which makes
 promises of ABI compatibility going
 forward.  I think that makes a lot of sense for
 Breezy accelerator modules although it would
 restrict you to Python >= 3.6 I think.
 (Earlier versons were built with a rather old version,
 (VS2008 or so?))  But that's not really
 objectionable since you're building for
 folks how won't have to build for themselves, now
 that they've also worked out how to have
 multiple active Pythons on Windows pretty well.