A Breezy status update

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Thu Jun 15 19:16:47 UTC 2017

> From: "Martin (gzlist)" <gzlist at googlemail.com>
> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 20:03:24 +0100
>
> On 15/06/2017, Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Any special reasons why did you need to do that?  Windows XP still has
> > a lot of installations around the world.
>
> What I removed was the narrow win32 api calls and other bits of Windows 98 code.

So you actually removed support for Windows 9X, not for W2K and XP, is
that right?

> However, no XP support is a statement of realities along the lines of
> to PEP 11† - we can't really claim support for OSes that are not
> themselves supported.

I'm not sure I understand what that means in practice.  All I was
suggesting is that you don't intentionally start use APIs which cannot
work on XP, without some fallback.  Is that possible?  I don't see
how that would go against PEP 11†, since even Python 3.4 still
supports XP, AFAIU, and breezy will support Python 2.7.

> We'll likely make a 64-bit Python 2.7 release that may work on most of
> the Windows NT lineage , but I don't plan to test that.

Will there not be 32-bit builds as well?  If so, you lose XP just
because of that.

Thanks.