Bazaar Python 3.5

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 17:11:28 UTC 2016

I haven't updated the roadmap recently.  I've been busy releasing bzr 2.7
and dealing with the aftermath thereof.  (I'm presently on vacation so my
verbosity is limited by using a fingerboard instead of a keyboard.)

The last time we discussed porting to python 3 several interesting
considerations became apparent:
1.  Some users are stuck on systems using python 2 which will not upgrade
to python 3.  So making choices to support python 3 without breaking python
2 support would allow them to continue to upgrade and benefit from future
development.
2.  Much of bzr is already python 3 compatible.
3.  There are compatibility implementations of many python 3 features for
python 2, some of which we are already using.
4.  Given that general availability of a particular version of python can
be hard to gauge, our users would likely be better served by extending our
python compatibility range to include v3.5 rather than changing to require
it.