Merge from old repo to new one?

ckalisiak at attotech.com ckalisiak at attotech.com
Tue Aug 2 16:12:41 UTC 2016

Hello all,

   One of the principals has decided it's time to start a new repository
for our code base, and deprecate the old one. As projects wrap up, they'll
merge into a central "launching point" branch, and then we'd like to merge
the updates from that branch to a "landing point" in the new repository.
Once all current projects have completed their typical lifecycle, the old
repository will be marked as obsolete. We're only planning on merging one
way, and if revision history is lost, that's fine. We just want to be able
to make use of the project-wide merge algorithm built in to Bazaar, instead
of having to rely on a Kdiff3 manual merge.

   But I can't figure out how to merge from the old repository to the new.
Bazaar can't figure out the base revision of the launching point, which is
understandable, but I can't figure out a way to tell the merge operation
what to use as a basis. When I specify a merge range, say, 242..243, it
treats everything as a conflict, and starts renaming directories in the new
repository. Trying other merge algorithms resulted in the same conflicts.

   If we need to rely on a plug-in, that's ok, we can work with that, maybe
there will be a designated individual with the plug-in that will be
responsible for doing all the merges.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Kalisiak
Senior Embedded Systems Engineer

This electronic transmission and any attachments hereto are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential information belonging to ATTO Technology, Inc. If you have reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this electronic transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have reason to believe that you have received this transmission in error, please notify ATTO immediately by return e-mail and delete and destroy this communication.