Problems with deleting tags?

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Mon Apr 18 06:45:16 UTC 2016

    > Do we improve things if we make tags version controlled?

Slightly, we could give a better way to resolve conflicts and better
control how tags propagate.

    > My understanding of tags is probably incomplete but it at least
    > connotes creating a name for a snapshot of version information.

It's just a name associated to a given revision (see 'bzr help tag').

    > What would it mean to make tags version controlled?  Would you be
    > able to revise the version information associated with a tag and
    > have a history for the version information associated with each
    > tag?

Apart from the issues with the current implementation, I don't remember
a lot :)

There is http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/Specs/Tagging which summarized
some discussions, the mailing list archive may contain more.

Personally, I'm not convinced anymore that tags should be version
controlled as part of the branch itself.

I've seen issues where "personal" tags where merged on a public branch
as well as packaging tags coming back into the upstream branch (where
they should have been kept separate).

The spec above mentions that personal tags should not even be recorded
in the branch, and what's the gain between a personal tag and just a
branch ?

So following the KISS principle, I'm tempted to say that version
controlled tags seems to be a solution in search of a problem ;)

           Vincent