Homebrew packages for OS X updated for 2.7.0

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:36:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Vincent Ladeuil <v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr> wrote:

>     > On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Fred McCann <fred at sharpnoodles.com> wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>     > I'm creating a list of plugins that have been specifically
>     > orphaned (previous maintainer asked for someone to take over).  It
>     > seems to me that if no willing person steps up to adopt them, we
>     > could consider putting them under the auspices of the bzr-core
>     > team,
>
> The best fit would be https://launchpad.net/~bzr

Regarding project management in launchpad:  there are two fields that
seem pertinent to this discussion 'Driver' and 'Maintainer'.  The
information link next to 'Driver' says:
What is a project driver?

The project driver is a person or team who is responsible for setting
the direction for the project. The driver can set goals, approve bug
targeting, or set backporting for any major series in the project.

Alternatively, you can cho[o]se to leave the project driver unset and
appoint a team for each series.

My understanding of 'Maintainer' is that they can merge into trunk for
projects without a gatekeeper (like pqm on bzr).  I don't necessarily
know what else is entailed.

One of Robert Collins' plugins which he asked to be adopted by someone
else was 'bzr-dbus'.  This currently has Maintainer set to 'Bazaar
Developers' <=> ~bzr but Driver is set to Robert Collins.  I'm
guessing in this case that the call for adoption implies we should set
Driver to ~bzr, as well.

[...]
> The issue arise if the copyright have to change (a plugin merged into
> core), there is no issue for the orphans if their copyright stay the
> same.

So is there a necessary change in copyright required to merge a plugin
into core?  In that case, if can't negotiate with the original authors
the copyright change, it sounds a lot simpler to go on maintaining the
plugin.  Do we have other options aside from reimplementing the
feature in core?  (In some cases that might not be a bad thing.)

Richard