How can we ensure Bazaar (bzr) remains active?

Daniel Vedder d.vedder at web.de
Tue Sep 22 14:27:54 UTC 2015

I would like to emphasize the quality of the Bazaar code base - when I
tried to get a grasp of how things worked, I was amazed by how
well-written the code was, and how much documentation (both for users
and developers) was available. I think Bazaar is a very well-engineered
product, which makes its decline even sadder.

Right now, one of the things that I think has been turning new
contributors away is the long lag between submitting a patch and getting
it accepted (currently 73 branches are waiting for a merge into lp:bzr).
I understand we had a technical problem there, not sure if it has been
fixed by now, but these seventy branches have been sitting there for
several months.

I don't think that the battle is completely lost, if the Bazaar
development team were to be reinvigorated and enlarged I think it might
gain in popularity again, playing on its strength of being easier to use
than git.

Another big problem we'd still be likely to face though is the dominance
of Github vs. Launchpad. While Launchpad is definitely functional, it is
by no means as snazzy as Github, and, what's more important, not as
well-known or popular. Everybody tells you to have a good Github profile
in your CV, I've never heard anybody say that about Launchpad. Apart
from the Ubuntu (and derivatives) world, most people seem to be putting
their open source projects on Github. And Github happens to be using
git, not bzr.

P.S. Nice to see some activity on the mailing list again :-) It had
become somewhat quiet here...