How can we ensure Bazaar (bzr) remains active?

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Sep 21 07:41:15 UTC 2015

Hallöchen!

Sebastien Alaiwan writes:

> [...]
>
> 2) I'm also a Launchpad user. But github is way more popular. At
> the moment, all github users are git users.  Bazaar needs a
> strongly and reliable git repository support. This way, github
> users will have an opportunity to realize that Bazaar might be a
> better git client than git :-)

I think one should go even one step further.  From
<https://www.stationary-traveller.eu/pages/bzr-a-retrospective.html>:

    Could bzr have a second life as another UI for the Git file
    format, becoming part of the Git world rather than competing
    with it? Sure, I guess. Several people, including myself, have
    suggested this in the past. It would however still require a
    fair amount of work - bzr-git is unfinished. If it's just the UI
    you're after then it is probably easier to simply build a
    bzr-like Git UI from scratch, directly on top of something like
    libgit2 or Dulwich.

The one thing that's great about bzr is its UI, and the one thing
that's weak about git is its UI.  I don't know how much of bzr's UI
could survive as a front-end for git, but at least investigating
this may be a nice project.

As for bzr the program, see
<https://www.openhub.net/p/bazaar/commits/summary> (slow link).  I
don't know of any other project that droped from 500 commits per
month to practically flatline within 6 months.  For me as a user,
this means that I don't think its codebase can be reasonably
maintained any more, so with a heavy heart, I converted my active
repos to git.

Tschö,
Torsten.

Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: torsten.bronger at jabber.rwth-aachen.de