How can we ensure Bazaar (bzr) remains active?

Kevin m1ndstr3ngthapps at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 01:34:54 UTC 2015

Hello, Bazaar users/devs:

I'm a professional software engineer and have been using Mercurial
(|hg|) DVCS for about a year. I've tried Git but I did not like it,
Mercurial was much more user-friendly. These two SCM projects are very
active; lots of contributors committing often to trunk. I just recently
discovered Bazaar (|bzr|) and I have found it to be the very best,
user-friendly, intuitive DVCS; more than any other.

Sadly, the latest stable release is over 2 years old, and the latest
stable Windows release is over 3 years old! :-( This detracts potential
users from using bzr, thinking that it must be not well supported; or
that it is not as popular as git and hg because it is somehow "not as good".

I would love to contribute and help fix bugs and implement new features
to ensure that this excellent SCM project continues with a healthy
development community.

I've already switched my projects to use bzr and have begun to use
Launchpad.

I joined the bazaar mailing list today, asked questions in Ask Ubuntu
and Ubuntu's FB page, and have submitted a request in bazaar's Launchpad
page to join the bzr-core team (request currently pending).

Please let me know anything else I can do to help. I want the Bazaar
DVCS to be more active, I think it's a great software tool! :-) We
cannot (and should not) allow such an awesome DVCS to fall into a state
of being unused, ignored, and eventually abandoned. Rather, let's
improve it, spread it, and use it!

Thanks:
Kevin