Python 3 Support: A Plan of Action

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 18:10:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Matthew D. Fuller
<fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:
[...]
> So from here, 2.7.10 and 3.4.x are just peachy.  I'd guess even 3.5.x
> probably wouldn't be a disqualifier by the time it'd likely be an
> issue.

Thanks, Matthew, for sharing the FreeBSD perspective on python availability.

I haven't kept abreast of the FreeBSD release schedule.  How widely
adopted are the releases you speak of that include python 2.7.10 and
3.4.x?  In other words, we can expect prompt adoption of new python
releases in new releases of FreeBSD (that's wonderful--on what
schedule?), but who do we leave behind if we drop python 2.6 support?

I guess what drew me initially to python 3.5 was the implementation of
PEP461 related to %-formatting of byte streams.  I had hoped PEP461
would also be implemented in a compatibility library for python 2.7.10
so we could then use it along with unicode support (is it native in
2.7.10?) in our port effort.  Native unicode support solves a lot of
problems with supporting local languages for filesystems and text but
introduces issues with network protocol and file format support which
PEP461 aims to address.

So, it seems important to me to identify the earliest python release
we need to support and then marshal what resources we can
muster--compatibility libraries, etc.--to provide the functionality we
desire from python 3.x in whatever release of python 2.x we decide to
support.  Depending on the release of python 2.x, we may need to
create a compatibility implementation for some things ourselves.

Does anyone know how important the changes in PEP466 'Network Security
Enhancements for Python 2.7.x' are to the bzr codebase?

Sincerely,
Richard