Shared repo setup

Gordon Tyler gordon at doxxx.net
Wed Jul 2 16:25:44 UTC 2014

Bazaar can separate the metadata for a branch from the repo directory which
contains the revisions in that branch. "bzr init" creates the repo inside
the same directory as the branch metadata. "bzr init-repo" creates only the
repo but no branch metadata.

This should work:

bzr init-repo --no-tree /path/to/repo
cd /path/to/repo
mkdir branch_name
cd branch_name
bzr init

There will now be a branch in /path/to/repo/branch_name which can be cloned
using "bzr branch ssh://path/to/repo/branch_name". This branch will store
its revisions in /path/to/repo and will share that revision data with any
other branch created within the same repo directory.

The warning about the working tree not being updated is because you created
a branch + repo + working directory on the server but push operations will
not update the working directory on the server. You will not get this
warning when using a --no-tree repo on the server.